Reeves-Reed Arboretum, a public arboretum and former historic estate with landscapes designed by Calvert Vaux, Ellen Biddle Shipman, and Carl Pilat, seeks a seasonal gardener for the 2014 season. Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, the seasonal gardener will assist in the care of the Arboretum’s plant collections as well as other horticulture and general maintenance duties throughout the grounds to ensure gardens are of the highest horticultural standards.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to planting and maintaining a variety of woody and herbaceous plant material by pruning, deadheading, staking, and weeding. General duties include mulching and applying soil amendments, transplanting, watering, hauling debris, pest identification and management, operation and routine maintenance of hand tools and power equipment, greenhouse maintenance, and control of invasive species. The seasonal gardener will also be expected to assist with volunteer and special events as needed.
- Basic knowledge of plant material and horticulture techniques
- The ability to safely operate hand tools and power equipment, including line trimmers and backpack blowers.
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 50lbs) in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work with volunteers and interact with public
- Strong communication skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be 18 or older
HOURS and COMPENSATION:
- This is a temporary part time position from April through October.
- 20 hours per week (including alternating Saturdays)
Email a resume to: email@example.com