January Events at RRA
7 Great Reasons to visit
Summit, NJ You wouldn't immediately think about visiting a public garden during the month of January, but Reeves-Reed Arboretum wants to change that! Here's a list of the lucky 7 events this January, guaranteed beat the winter blues and get you up, out of the house, and in the garden.
- Full Moon Hike, Friday, January 10, 7pm to 8pm. Come for a walk in the woods under the moonlight. On an easy stroll through the woodland trails, learn about how our senses work differently at night. Afterwards, warm up with some delicious hot chocolate.
- Family Arboretum Challenge, Saturday, January 11, 10am to 11:30am. Equipped with a map and compass, families will head out into the Arboretum gardens and woodlands in search of hidden clues. Once completed, head inside for hot chocolate and work together to decipher the code.
- Oaks & Acorns honor national hero, Martin Luther King, Jr., Wednesday, January 15, 1pm to 2pm. The winter session of Oaks & Acorns is dedicated to learning about Martin Luther King, Jr. Take nature walks, tell stories, and create a one-of-a-kind art project.
- Kids Can Cook – Comfort Foods!, Thursday, January 16, from 4pm to 5:30pm. What's your favorite comfort food? Join us in the historic Wisner House kitchen as we whip up some of your mouth-watering favorites.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service – Reuse, Recycle, and Reach Out, Monday, January 20, 9am to 12pm. Stop by the Stackhouse Education Center to create a unique Valentine's Day card from recycled materials, sure to warm the heart of a patient in a local hospital.
- Chinese New Year Celebration, Thursday, January 23, from 4pm to 5:30pm. Come celebrate the Chinese New Year with crafts, tasty snacks, and stories commemorating the Year of the Rat!
- Tap That Tree!, Saturday, January 25, 10amto11:30am. February marks the beginning of maple sugaring season. Join the Arboretum as we tap our maple trees in preparation for this season's sap flow.
Registration is required for all of the above programs. For additional information, specific age requirements, and to register, please visit the Arboretum online at reeves-reedarboretum.org, or call 908-273-8787 x 1010.
Celebrating over 40 years as an historic public garden, education resource, and non-profit conservancy, Reeves-Reed Arboretum engages, educates and enriches the public through horticulture and environmental education, and the care and utilization of the gardens and estate. Open 7 days a week, the Arboretum is listed on both the National and New Jersey State Historic Registers. Funding for RRA has been made possible in part by the NJ Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State, through a grant administered by the Union County Office of Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Dept. of Parks & Community Renewal.
REEVES-REED ARBORETUM....a place to grow for everyone!